Students can eat while studying in the new space. Photo: Warwick Media Library

New ‘eat-and-study’ space in Rootes

Warwick University has revealed plans to create a new eat-and-study work space in Rootes.

The area, known as the Dining Grid, will open in March and will be “fully operational” by the end of term two.

The University states that it is opening the area in response to demands for a more informal and flexible study space.

A statement issued by Warwick University reads: “The space is being designed to be as flexible as possible so it can also be used to provide more bookable societies and rehearsal space when it is not being used for other purposes.

“The mixed use of the space has also enabled additional flexibility to be built into this year’s exam timetable following concerns raised by students.”

However, not all students were enthusiastic about the University’s quick-fix solution.

Robbie Etyan Smith, a third-year Classics student said: “I think its a complete cheat. The university should be coughing up money to buy more study space which is in high demand, rather than on a venue that will simply encourage more student spending on campus.”

He added: “I know my department for one, is struggling to push the library to fund the purchasing of a number of key books for our department. Why on earth isn’t the University’s funding going towards improving the educational facilities?”

Others welcomed the development.

Sarah Burns, a second-year Biomedical student commented: “I’m excited for [the dining grid] as the main reason I don’t go to the Rootes Grid is because I can’t eat warm food in there.”

Abi Awojobi, a Politics student currently on Erasmus, said: “I think any move towards creating extra study space is useful.

“I am looking forward to all the extra study space when I return next year.”