Mixed Lacrosse defeat ‘unsportsmanlike’ rivals

Warwick’s mixed lacrosse squad faced Coventry in the second ever lacrosse Varsity event.

The game started well with Warwick scoring in the first minute. Throughout, the game attack was strong with tactical, accurate passes up the field. Warwick used the ball well, and the attacking play was dynamic and effective.

The team effectively settled the ball with short, rapid passes until the Coventry de- fense opened up to allow a pass into the hole. Spacing was good, and under the pressure of many confident players, Coventry allowed the Warwick attackers to drive through and score.

In midfield Warwick’s superior fitness and stick skills saw that Coventry were unable to get the turnover.

Warwick came back revived and with vengeance as they made three goal attempts in the first minute

Accurate passes and dynamic cuts were the key here, with good use of the ball and anticipation allowing for chains of short, ac- curate passes which Coventry were unable to intercept.

Despite the unsportsmanlike play of the opposing team, the worst incident, of which resulted in a timed penalty against Coventry in the second quarter, defence stayed strong and positive. Effective communication particularly helped, as Warwick were often able to put two players on the Coventry attacker with the ball, and force the error. Warwick were also able to use their strength and agility in order to stop fast breaks from as far away as the half way line.

Goalie clears were effective, and both the defense and midfield had the presence of mind to get free before cutting, meaning that Warwick conceded no goals from a fumbled catch off the clear.

The game ended 14-3 to Warwick: a clear reflection of their superior team play, stick skills and fitness.