Photo: Radio at Warwick

Maahwish Mirza takes education

Maahwish Mirza, a third-year English student, has been elected as the education officer for 2014/15.

Ms Mirza was elected with a grand total of 1,830 votes.

Carl Mohr and Aidan Press were also running for the position.

In her manifesto, Ms Mirza highlighted four key areas: feedback and assessment; contact hours; careers and finance; and resources and support.

Among other policies, the 2014/15 Education officer pledged to ‘work to support and expand Warwick’s outreach programme’.

The current education officer, Erin Davies, will remain in office until August before the position is taken by Maahwish Mirza.

The education officer role is described by Warwick Students’ Union as the ‘liason with the University on academic issues.

The officer runs ‘campaigns on education related issues’, maintains ‘a good knowledge of the HE sector’ and ‘co-ordinates with the SSLC’.

• LoveBritainVoteUkip

In the universities, we are told that education and the discipline ought to be determined by the students, and that the representatives of the students ought effectively to manage the institutions. This is nonsense—manifest, arrant nonsense; but it is nonsense which it is already obligatory for academics and journalists, politicians and parties, to accept and mouth upon pain of verbal denunciation and physical duress.