Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Labour warn the government faces a student loans timebomb

Labour has warned the government that it may face a student loans repayment timebomb, which could prove to be damaging for the Liberal Democrats’ election chances.

The coalition recently announced that under the new tuition fee system, about 45 per cent of university graduates would not earn enough to repay government loans. 

Experts predict that if this number reaches 48.6 per cent, the government will lose more money than it gained by increasing fees to £9,000 a year.

The Liberal Democrats backed the tuition fee increase, after initially making a manifesto promise not to do so.

Shadow business secretary and Labour MP Chuka Umunna told the BBC that the rise in tuition fees may end up costing taxpayers more than the old system. 

Mr Umunna said: “I think this is actually catastrophic, for the Liberal Democrats in particular, because having trebled tuition fees in the name of reducing the deficit and saving the exchequer money, you are are at best seeing it raise little money at all; at worst actually costing more.

“What this is is a student loan time bomb that is actually already exploding under the government.”

Liberal Democrat MP and treasury minister Danny Alexander responded to the claims, saying the figures (for increasing tuition fees) were based on projections of graduate incomes in 35 years’ time, “so these numbers do move around a lot”.

He added: “The figure that we are most pleased with is that we are seeing more people from disadvantaged backgrounds going into higher education than ever before.”

Graduates are not required to repay tuition fee loans until they are earning more than £21,000 a year.

In response to calls for this threshold to be reduced, universities minister David Willetts said we “do not have to take those types of decisions”. 

“I think this is a sustainable system,” he told Channel 4 News. “It is a far more sustainable system than any alternative.

“The exact forecasts will bounce around depending on exactly what people are forecasting for earnings 35 years out… I can envisage in the future. If graduate earnings pick up and rise more than forecast, that the amount we are going to collect back will improve.”