Heroes: Reborn or just boring?

For those of you who happened to tune into the Sochi Winter Olympics last week, you probably felt the same emotions I did: excitement, eagerness and a real sense of ‘it’s about bloody time’. Not because we saw amazing athletes pushing their bodies to the limit, no, the immense sensation of joy was a result of a short 28 second trailer which aired revealing that after 4 years of being off our screens, Heroes will finally be returning in the form of a mini-series.

2015 will see series creator, Tim Kring, dust off his sci-fi boots and take centre-stage once more with 13 new episodes being released under the clever name, Heroes Reborn. The talk of a new season has sent twitter town into tweet frenzy, with fans retweeting their favourite moments from the last 77 episodes, but is this enough to keep the buzz alive?

It ended with Claire (Hayden Panettiere) flinging herself off a carnival ride in an attempt to show the world her species whilst also stopping carnival ringleader, Samuel (Robert Knepper), from killing thousands of people. Sound captivating? Well, it wasn’t. By the time the show went off air, fans had lost interest in the plots that made little sense and the poor grasps at trying to recreate the same electricity generated from the previous 3 seasons.

Even with the viewing population plummeting to a mere 3.93 million, less than a quarter of what they were at the shows peak, it seems like characters such as Sylar (Zachary Quinto), Hiro (Masi Oka) and Peter (Milo Ventimiglia) have managed to live on unscathed by poor creative decisions, in the hearts and minds of fans everywhere. Maybe, just maybe, Heroes Reborn will exceed expectations, rewrite the mistakes of its past and see a series I loved growing up go out with a bang rather than it’s all time low.

Is this enough to keep the buzz alive?

Not much information has been shared with regards to the new series, and rightly so! With many of the main actors of the series going on to secure their own shows, it seems unlikely that we’d see the return of any of our favourites and there’s no use upsetting fans before the release date has even been circulated. I’d rather be pleasantly surprised if I tune in and see The Petrelli’s having another family fued than disappointed a year in advance because of an all-new character cast and burning questions still left unanswered.

Heroes Reborn, I wait for you with a cautious excitement. Who knows, if the revival of this show is a hit it may the push FRIENDS needs to finally make all our television dreams come true!

• Alistair Drennan

I loved the first 2 or 3 seasons, it was amazing, but it just got really dry. It’s disappointing that they’re trying to revive something which got so thoroughly rinsed the first time round.
    It’s bad enough when movies have unnecessary sequels, when it comes to TV shows it should strictly be a no-go.

• A few cameos from Hayden Panettiere is enough to make this show interesting.