Editors’ Letters: It is never too late

As my time at the Boar comes to a close, I am reflecting on all that I’ve done at the paper. From my first article back in term one, year one up to my deputy editorship which I shall hand over on the day this very issue comes out, the Boar has been an enormous part of my university experience (arguably bigger than my actual degree).

With all those hours spent on the paper you hold now, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see me applying for MAs in journalism or applying to newspapers for internships and grad roles. So why have I chosen to take up a position with Transport for London on their Project Management team?

Student journalism has given me skills, experience and a great group of friends

The answer is simple: the Boar gives everyone involved a project to manage. Whether it’s crafting the perfect article, investigating the latest scandal on campus or laying up your section every fortnight, student journalism gives you so much more than just journalism experience. Joining the sub-editor team will give you concrete proof of your attention to detail. Our business team will give you experience of running a printed newspaper with sponsors and advertising revenue. And being a writer gives you more than communication skills. It shows that you have passion; it shows that you care enough about something to put words on paper, and that you’re confident enough to get those words published. Ultimately, a company can teach you knowledge and facts, but they cannot teach you motivation.

I am a firm believer that involvement in societies is what makes a university experience whole, but I also believe that it’s never too late to get stuck in. Student journalism has given me skills, experience, a great group of friends and it has made my time at Warwick three-dimensional. It has also kick-started my career, despite the fact that you won’t find me in a press office come September.

So you there, reading this, thinking that you’re graduating in June and you’ve not had the chance to get invested in a society yet, open up your emails and get in touch. It is never too late to get involved with your student paper. The skills you’ll gain will be invaluable, and you’ll meet some fabulous people too!

[divider]

Header Image Courtesy of wikicommons