An example of Mr Right? Nah. Stop idealising and live in the moment says Maya Fowell.

Editors’ Letters: Mr. Right-now not Mr. Right

I’ll probably forever believe in dragons, the tooth fairy and Santa Claus but some things are just too far-fetched for a woman of my age to still hold on to.
Before coming to uni, circa 2011, countless adults informed me that as well as studying hard to graduate with a decent degree mark, I should spend my time scouting for a husband. After all, university was the place you found love and met your future baby daddy.

I arrived at Bluebell with the scepticism I felt at this statement seeping through my every pore, definitely not looking for my other half and preferring to hang out with Mr. Right Now instead of wishing upon a star for Mr. Right.

People should be able to tie the knot whenever they want, there shouldn’t be this immense pressure on females to walk down the aisle before their biological clock ticks it’s last tock.

The pressure to find someone before graduating, before living, remained a hot topic of discussion anytime I spoke to anyone double my age. I had two choices, stop talking to anyone over the 40 (that seemed a tad problematic). Instead I went with option two: quit listening to a generation who were okay with gay marriage being illegal and unequal pay for women.

I have a thousand things I want to accomplish before I even begin to contemplate settling down. The outdated notion that a woman should be married and popping out kids by her mid-20s isn’t doing anyone any favours. I know for a fact I won’t be marrying the guy who thinks buying me a lemonade equals free entry into my vagina.
People should be able to tie the knot whenever they want, there shouldn’t be this immense pressure on females to walk down the aisle before their biological clock ticks it’s last tock. I really do admire the university couples I know that have plans to get married and I hope it works out, some will and some won’t c’est la vie.
Telling me that time is running out implies it’s all women are good for. As if the only thing to accomplish is changing our surnames.

So, for anyone who’s heard the same bullshit I have, just brush it off and do what you’re doing. Love, marriage and the baby carriage will all come in due time.

[divider]

Header Image Courtesy of kalianalyticaldevine