Warwick Basketball dash Coventry's chances of a Varsity win. Photo: Warwick Basketball

Cov’s hoops and dreams crushed

Warwick Men 99 – 87 Coventry Men

Warwick took control early in Sunday’s Varsity basketball, bringing home the win for the second year running. The men and women’s first teams each competed against their Coventry counterparts with the men taking home the win and the women soon following suit.

“They (Coventry) played well, they fought hard, but I think it just depends on who was better on the day and thankfully that was us”, applauded men’s coach Gerald Chifamba following the win.

“What a great end to our season.”

Captain Phil Reeder started the scoring off, drawing fouls in transition and going to the line to shoot free-throws. First year recruit Jack Thomas was red hot from outside the perimeter, making crucial threes in the first half of play.

In response, Coventry stepped up their defense, employing a full-court pressure that would last for the rest of the game. Fighting hard, the Coventry men were able to claw back some of the lead in the first quarter, much to the enjoyment of the home crowd.

In the second, Warwick’s second string took to the court with Ken Kwan, James McGregor and Stefan Filipovic combining in the half court for exciting plays. Stefan Filipovic, a shooting guard out of Moscow, showed his explosiveness in the open court, getting up to make huge buckets. By the end of the half, Coventry were eight points behind with the score reading 47–39.

In the third quarter, Lithuanian big men Paulius Rimavicius and Zygimantas Sirka finally found their rhythm and began scoring on the low block. Unable to contain the Warwick forwards, Coventry were forced to concede fouls with two crucial players fouling out early in the third quarter. Coventry’s number eight kept the home team in the game however, making long two and three-pointers from deep outside the perimeter.

By the fourth, Coventry’s press had begun to collapse, with guards Max Holnaicher and Jack Thomas taking advantage of the tired players. Backdoor cuts and over the top passes enabled easy baskets for the Warwick side.

Coventry refused to give up the fight, however, and with Warwick’s point guard controversially fouling out early in the fourth, there was still some trepidation for the away team. Despite the hasty play and tough defense, Filipovic and Thomas reacted with poise to close out the game.

After a tiring game there was only one conclusion: another Varsity win for Warwick and the men’s basketball team.

Warwick Women 91 – 42 Coventry Women

In the women’s game, the Warwick side looked the stronger team from the offset. With a deep squad of 12 players ready to contribute, the away team came out of the tip with all guns blazing taking the Coventry team by surprise.

Starting the scoring off early, Maria Spathari scored on the low block from Cat Sutherland’s assists. The Coventry side answered in response with plays from their number eight.

The first quarter ended with Warwick firmly in control, up by ten and ready to run the score up. In the second however, Coventry would once again show their fighting spirit and, rallied by the home crowd, Coventry clawed back from the Warwick lead.

Undaunted, Sabine Chassagne of Warwick started what would be a superb personal night with huge plays in transition to cement the Warwick lead. By the end of the first half, the Warwick side was able to rotate its bench, with fresh recruits Claire Wood and Hannah Luisa combining well for open jump shots and layups.

By the end of the half, Coventry were 15 points down and it looked like a Warwick blow out.

In the third however, number nine for the Coventry side showed her impressive skill, making long twos and and layups. Warwick’s Anne Antoni responded with spectacular moves on the low block to the delight of the Warwick fans. The story of the day however was Sabine Chassagne leading the team in transition and playing with aggression.

In the fourth, Warwick continued to work the bench well, with Routing Peng and Lina Sitta making contributions to the away side. Captain Guilia Zecchini and point guard Dominika Szuba showed their experience, acting with poise and control to see the game to a close.