Photo: Save the children

CEE societies serve up a treat for charity

The Central East-European (CEE) societies collaborated recently to deliver a range of cultural food and drink in a lunchtime charity sale on Thursday 20 February.

The CEE societies are made up of the Turkish, Polish, Bulgarian and Romanian speaking societies. 

They caught the attention of hungry campus dwellers passing by their stalls outside the Library entrance and the Science Concourse by delivering traditional food.

These included a Polish lunch pack with baguette, Kabanos sausage and Polish sweets such as Prince Polo and Michalki.

Lemon tea was served alongside this, whereas the Turkish stall served black coffee as well as Turkish delights and traditional Turkish pastries.

The Bulgarian society provided Banitsa, a type of cheese pie, along with some feta buns, Tutmanik, and Bulgarian kebabs.

They educated customers about the foods and culture of the different countries as well as raising money for a good cause.

All the proceeds of the event went to ‘Save the Children’, a charitable organisation who work in over 120 countries to improve the lives of children living in danger and poverty, as well as delivering emergency aid.

They are currently working  closely with helping Syrian refugee children as well as saving new-borns in Sudan, a country with one of the highest new-born mortality rates in the world.

Vice-president of the Turkish Society, Deren Ille, states that the idea was to sell “traditional and cultural items to raise money for a good cause, while raising awareness of our cultures”.

The CEE societies managed to raise £215 from the event.