Photo: Flickr / daveoratox

To beard or not to beard? That is the question

Charlie McKnight shows there’s more to men’s grooming that a shower and a shave.

Growing a beard, or at least an acceptable amount of stubble, can be difficult if you’re like me and puberty decided to bypass your face entirely – I exaggerate a little, I still shave daily but that is mainly be rid of a moustache reminiscent of a man out of a primary school ‘Stranger Danger’ information video. Nevertheless, regardless of how pubescently challenged you may or may not be, without sounding like Patrick Bateman, you should never forget the importance of a daily grooming routine.

If you’re not sure what a routine should look like, or you find your current routine lacking, I’ve outlined some helpful expert tips along with the basics of what a good routine should look like step by step below.

Cleanse              

Following a heavy night in Smack, the next morning fill the sink with hot water and lightly steam your face. This will open the pores and make it easier to clear out the dirt, dead skin, grease and regret from the night before which cause all the blackheads and spots we students are all too familiar with. My ‘go to’ wash is the Bulldog Face Scrub. Following the growth of animal testing free products last year, this product dominated the market and as such has sadly gone up significantly in price, however it is entirely still affordable at around the £5-£6 mark. The word ‘scrub’ can, although, be misleading so remember to be gentle. Clean your face in a circular motion to avoid irritation and use a warm flannel to pat the skin dry after washing. Scrubbing harder doesn’t get rid of black heads, it just damages the skin.

Shave

After cleansing, let your skin settle. Blood vessels in your skin will be raised and you’ll want your skin to cool so that shaving will not irritate the skin further, or in some severe cases, burst a blood vessel.

It may seem obvious, but have a clear view of what you want to accomplish before you start. If you’re worried that going clean will result in you being asked for ID in Kelsey’s, then do a little research. Self-awareness of your appearance is no longer a taboo anymore, so don’t be scared asking your friends, looking online or better yet, ask the person you’re seeing for advice. You should see a shave as an investment; don’t hack half of your face to pieces with disposable razors, no matter how many pennies you are trying to save. It makes your skin look and feel sore, and in the long run will leave your skin feeling worse than when you started.

Moisturise

Regardless of how hairy you are, moisturise. If you’ve shaved, go for an after-balm. Better yet, try Nivea Men Q10 Skin Energy Double Action Balm. This stuff acts as a two-in-one and feels like Mother Nature slapping the eliminator out of your system. Regular moisturising reduces the sensitivity of your skin, reduces irritation and rash, and in the long run reduces the chance that 40 year-old you will look like 55 year-old you.

Hair

The rise of quiff – pun intended – and the pushed back hair has reached its pinnacle, and designers are now welcoming back the fringe. Keep the sides short, (or if you fancy yourself as a real hipster, keep them shaven) but keep some length on the top to brush down into a choppy fringe or flick. Although I’m no hairdresser, it’s recommended that if you want to maintain a style, get a cut every 5-6 weeks. Once the tufts at the back of your neck start to look like the beginnings of a mullet, you’re in trouble. Try experimenting with different products; clay and putty work best for a choppy matte finish, or use wax if you’re trying to fashion the Wolf of Wall Street look. If you like what you see don’t be afraid to use hair spray either. Spray it directly onto the style, or better yet, spray some on your hands and work it into your hair to add texture.