Photo; flickr: Hornet Photography

Woman rescued from the River Leam

A woman was rescued from River Leam at around 7.20am on Friday 24 January.

The emergency services responded to reports from bystanders who had been alerted by the screams of the 20-year-old woman. An on-the-scene paramedic had gone in to the water himself to attempt to reach her.

Two fire crews from Leamington and a water rescue team from Rugby responded, alongside the local police and ambulance services. The crews used triple extension ladders and throw lines to successfully pull the 20-year-old and the paramedic from the river. The casualty was then taken to hospital by the Warwickshire Ambulance service.

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue service have issued warnings about the potential dangers around water following the lucky escape.

Gary Phillips, the Deputy Chief fire officer commented:“This incident could have had a much more tragic outcome had it not been for the quick thinking and bravery of all the emergency services who attended her rescue.”

He continued: “This is an excellent example of how the agencies work together but not one that any of us wishes to see a repeat of.

Mr Phillips added:”I urge people to take great care around water particularly when there has been heavy rainfall and rivers are more dangerous.”

Flood warnings for the River Leam were issued by the Environment Agency the day after the rescue and remained in place throughout the week. The high water level increases the flow rate and chance of being pulled out of one’s depth in the river.