Welcome to Norwich: a fine city

As the signs welcome you into ‘Norwich: a fine city’, you should banish all preconceptions of six-fingered farmers and instead prepare for a friendly, fun and historical place.

A lot of people see Norwich on a map and question how worthwhile a visit is because of its proximity to precisely nowhere, but the lack of nearby cities ensures that Norwich has everything that you need for an enjoyable visit.

It is a city of contradiction, being declared the most secular place in England in a 2011 census, despite boasting the largest number of churches within its city walls in all of Northern Europe.

An easy afternoon can be spent wandering around the cloisters of the most impressive of these churches, Norwich Cathedral, and the surrounding area, known as Tombland.

Walking up the ancient cobblestones of Elm Hill, the oldest street in the city , will lead you on to London Street, home to the independent bookshop The Book Hive. Described by Stephen Fry as “The kind of place I dreamt of existing when I was growing up in Norwich,” it is well worth a visit.

Just one street across from here is the huge Norman castle, built 900 years ago as a royal palace, and today used as a museum.

Continuing down London Street will take you to the marketplace, and if you want to really embrace being in Norfolk, you should go and get a bacon roll and a cuppa from Reggie’s stall.

However, if you are after something a little more substantial, then Norwich has plenty to offer. The idea of having a whole restaurant dedicated to the humble waffle may seem strange, but, after a visit to The Waffle House on St Giles Street, you will be fully convinced otherwise.

Get a small main course, so you have room for dessert; the hot Dutch apple waffle is not to be missed!

For something quintessentially British, Biddy’s tearoom is unbeatable. With over 30 different types of tea, an array of delicious cakes and sandwiches, and decked out with bunting and old crockery, this is definitely the place to be if you fancy somewhere cosy and quaint.

Another favourite is The Bicycle Shop on St Benedict’s Street, reached via a walk through the charming Norwich Lanes: a group of tiny streets home to an abundance of independent boutiques and gift shops.

Whether you’re after breakfast, a big dinner, or some evening tapas, the Bicycle Shop will provide you with a mouth-watering meal. If it’s too late for food, the ‘Handlebar’ downstairs is a little dark cavern of alcohol and good music.

After a cocktail or two, pop up the street to Norwich Arts Centre, a converted church which now hosts intimate gigs, comedy and art shows.

If you’re visiting Norfolk, a trip to Norwich is a must. If not, it’s less than two hours from central London to Norwich by train, so make a brief stop and see what this fine city has to offer – you won’t leave disappointed!