Photo: Enactus Warwick / Warwick SU

Warwick University hosts Enactus Week

Enactus Warwick held an Enactus Week to celebrate the society’s work.

Enactus is a social enterprise society which creates charitable projects with a focus on business models.

They aim for the projects to be sustainable by investing in long-term rather than temporary ventures.

Running from Tuesday 4 February to Thursday 6 February, Enactus Week included a live installation of the society’s projects in the Students’ Union Atrium.

Visitors will had chance to vote for their favourite projects, all of which aimed to improve peoples’ lives and create a sustainable world through entrepreneurial action.

The society also held a special workshop called “How to get People to do what you want”.

The workshop focussed on teamwork and persuasion. Guest speakers advised people on how to work together more effectively and express ideas coherently.

Enactus has three strands of project: consulting, social and commercial.

One of the society’s successful social projects involves working with the charity Lotus Culture, which helps to improve the lives of ex-sex trafficked women. Enactus markets the women’s handmade woven products to a UK audience.

The consulting project Action 21 focuses on raising environmental awareness. It is looking into the opening of a new shop with regards to helping them to reduce their environmental impact and to increase revenue.

In terms of commercial projects, Enactus is involved with businesses which help to fund their social ventures.

The project Hoodaid works with societies to order hoodies in bulk so that they can be offered at reduced prices.

Enactus also collaborated with One World Week on January 30 for Warwick Olympics 2014.

The event included a tennis match with the number one ranked wheelchair player in Spain, Daniel Caverzaschi, to raise awareness of disability on campus.