Photo: Warwick Media Library

Warwick University falls out of top 50

The University of Warwick has fallen out of the world’s top 50 young universities, as supplied by the QS World University Rankings.

The QS World University Rankings positions the top 50 under 50 institutes, by measuring their performance across factors like academic and employer reputation, research citations, student to staff ratios, diversity of international students and teachers, all of which can be established only in the long-run.

Fewer UK universities are now ranked in the list.

The rankings aim to highlight relatively newly-established universities that are already making a big impact in the global rankings.

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), established in 1991, tops the list. The three UK universities that continue to hold a place in the list are Bath, Loughborough and Brunel, as Warwick, Essex and Lancaster have dropped out after being established for five decades now.

The University of Warwick has previously been ranked as third in the world for the last two years, making it the highest-ranked European university as per the last two surveys.

As per this years’ survey, Australia had eight universities in the list, more than any other country, adding a new wave of internationally competitive universities.

First-year Management student Saujanyaa Gupta thinks that “the rankings do not matter anymore apart from the top graduate schools like LBS or Imperial, as the ones other than the top three continue to change places. I had never heard of Loughborough before, but it seems to be in top 50 now!”

Ben Sowter, a head researcher at QS said: “The dynamic nature of the rankings makes it an interesting comparison with our global and regional rankings.

“By focusing on the performance of these younger institutions alone, the list aims to spot the up-and-coming higher education powerhouses in the global arena.”