A Warwick speaker in action. Photo: flickr; gregdaly

Warwick Speakers final approaches

The final of the annual speech competition run by Warwick Speakers is taking place on Tuesday 25 February in L4 on the Science Concourse. 

Warwick Speakers held the first round of its annual public speaking competition on Tuesday 18 February.

The semi-finals of The Speaker 2014 took place in the Social Sciences Building of Warwick University.

16 members of the Warwick Speakers gave a five-minute speech on what the University of Warwick means to them.

The competition entrants shared their personal experiences of the University before society members and their guests.

Among issues discussed were opportunities to develop as an individual, building personal connections and gaining international experience.

The jury of four society executives chose the eight best performances to compete in the final.

Sam Crawford, the president of Warwick Speakers, told the Boar that the objective of The Speaker 2014 was to celebrate anyone who had a voice and wanted it to be heard.

“This year, we have created a competition which is much more orientated on celebrating people who are willing to have a go rather than being built up as a huge competitive event.

“I am proud of that and I am of proud of every member of the executive that has helped organise this thing. We have never had this many entrants,” he said.

Sayaka Sakashita, Media and Communications masters student and a competition entrant commented: “I took part in this competition because I am shy and as an international student I would like to be able to speak English confidently.

“The competition was an opportunity for me to practise presentation skills and Business English. My advice to everybody is that practice is the key to success”.

Warwick Speakers is the University of Warwick’s public speaking society officially affiliated to the Toastmasters International, a global public speaking organisation.

The society aims to help its members develop, practise and improve their communication, presentation and leadership skills.