Photo: Warwick Media Library

Warwick researchers develop new ‘Software Incubator’

Researchers at the University of Warwick have developed a ‘Software Incubator’, designed to help entrepreneurs with connections to the University of Warwick.

The incubator was conceptualised and created by Warwick Ventures, a team of technology transfer professionals specialising in “the commercialisation of cutting-edge innovation arising from the world-leading research at the University of Warwick.”

Based in the Avon Building on Westwood Campus, the incubator will offer students, graduates and members of staff with software ideas access to incubator space, as well as to mentoring and business advice.

These facilities are aimed at helping those using the incubator to move from an idea, to creating software, and later forming a company.

The services offered by the incubator are targeted towards early stage businesses requiring little in the way of initial investment, and users are expected to have the funds in place to cover their work for the duration.

Since its inception, Warwick Ventures have won £30 million worth of grants and contracts, identified 1100 innovations, created 79 ‘spin-out’ companies and raised £55 million worth of venture capital for those companies.