23 years and counting: Sports Officer Zoe Buckland celebrates on the ice after a thrilling victory for the ice hockey team. photo: Zoe Buckland

Warwick Ice Hockey steal historic Varsity victory

Warwick University kicked off their pursuit of further Varsity glory with a thrilling, landmark 7-6 ice hockey victory at the Skydome Arena on Thursday night.

Trailing heading into the final three minutes of the match, Warwick turned the match on its head to secure the points in front of 2,000 students.

With Warwick SU ensuring transport for students there was a strong Warwick contingent who made their presence felt, and not only the ice hockey was enjoyed, but a rousing atmosphere and some all round entertainment.

The game started with a traditional national anthem, and once the match got underway the home team flew out of the blocks and persistently put Warwick under pressure. Poor discipline prevented Warwick from getting to grips with the game and only some magnificent saves from Warwick goalkeeper Daniel Harrison and the intervention of the woodwork kept the scores level.

Surprisingly, Warwick took the lead on the ten-minute mark despite being a man down, when a fine piece of creativity from attacker Andris Egle allowed Liam Martin to glide round the Coventry keeper and slide the puck home into an empty net.

Warwick then displayed ruthlessness that Coventry had lacked, taking advantage of a Coventry penalty when Tom Hiscock craftily played in Martin for his second goal of the evening. However, complacency may have been a slight factor in Coventry’s immediate response, with Olivia Mason finishing smartly past Harrison.

This goal was more significant than just putting Coventry on the scoreboard, as Mason was the first female player to participate – let alone score – in the Varsity ice hockey in an overall performance than won her player of the match for Coventry.

The first period was not over, however, and Warwick were soon on the offensive again. Despite having Tom Gross penalised for two minutes Warwick did not sit back, and another mazy run and a fine finish from the outstanding Hiscock reinstated the two goal cushion. What seemed to be like a dream first period for the away team ended on a disappointing note however, with ill discipline again reducing Warwick to five players, and despite the best efforts of Harrison Coventry managed to pull one back. After the initial 20 minutes Warwick had taken a deserved 3-2 lead.

With the second period underway Warwick showed no resemblance of another lacklustre start, with Egle, Hiscock and Tim Donnison all bombarding the Coventry goal. What was a competitive and tense first period bubbled into a fiery affair in the second, with Axel Hakansson and a Coventry counterpart both penalised for familiar ice hockey behaviour.

Despite the promising start the second period was extremely frustrating for Warwick, conceding two scrappy goals without reply. Firstly, a defensive miscommunication between Harrison and his defence left Coventry with an opportunity to equalise into a vacant net, and when Gross was penalised again Coventry took the lead. However, a fine string of saves from last year’s man of the match Harrison kept Warwick in the game, and raised the spirit of the Warwick fans, who repeatedly chanted his name. On the back of outstanding energy and effort from players such as Murray Mitchell Warwick hung on, but were relived to enter the last break just one goal behind.

Following a mascot tussle and some more entertainment the players returned for the final period with the excitement and tension in the arena reaching fever pitch. Warwick had the dream start, equalising within a minute through defender Richard Belfitt, who was able to force the puck home. Disaster struck however when with nine minutes remaining, against the run of play, Coventry took the lead through some fine counter-attacking play. As had been shown throughout the match Warwick were not ready to lie down and a piece of class from Hiscock brought them back on level terms. Beating two defenders down the right hand side and fizzing the puck past Alex Young in the Coventry goal to score what was undoubtedly the goal of the game.

Entering the final four minutes of the game the outcome was poised on a knife edge, and Warwick again made their task significantly more difficult by leaving themselves exposed in defence, allowing Slater to score. By now, the Warwick fans were aware of the mental toughness of their team and rallied behind the players. With Coventry down to five players for the final two minutes of the game Warwick bombarded their goal, and dramatically equalised in a frantic scramble.

With the crowd gripped Warwick did not sit back and surrender the chance for glory. As the clock ticked into the final minute Warwick were awarded a penalty, and with the puck flying in all directions a composed Saunders managed to force it home to secure a historic 7-6 victory.

Jubilant scenes filled the Skydome Arena, with keeper Harrison deservedly mobbed by his teammates. Man of the match Liam Martin was rewarded for his eye for goal and general work ethic that was displayed throughout this tremendous Warwick side.

Credit is due for Coventry, who battled gallantly to indicate that securing another Varsity crown is going to be no mean feat for Warwick this year.

Despite this, Warwick players and fans alike left the Arena in high spirits for a positive outcome of the sporting battles that will take place in the upcoming weeks.