International Manufacturing Centre. Photo: Warwick Media Library

Warwick helps students with disabilities 3D-print objects

Warwick University has helped disabled students from a local college to design and 3-D print objects easing their everyday challenges.

Warwick Manufacturing Group (WMG) and Computer Science Department have run the Engaging Young People with Assistive Technologies project in partnership with Hereward College since September 2013.

The scheme has enabled students with learning difficulties and physical disabilities to create tools and accessories that suit their daily needs.

Hereward students have learnt how to use computer-assisted design technology, and printed their first 3-D objects during sessions with staff and students from the University of Warwick.

The college has its own Cubex Trio 3D printer donated by 3D Systems Ltd.

Ollie Baskaran, a student with Muscular Dystrophy, and his tutor Russell Smith designed a straw-holder which makes drinking easier for people suffering from muscle weakness.

Modern manufacturing technologies allow the user to design and print items in a few hours at little cost.

The 3-D printer creates an object by producing a series of layers which are stacked and laminated together.

The scheme is funded by the University of Warwick Science Park Trust till 2015.

Anna Blackaby, international press officer and faculty of science press officer, said: “This project is part of the University’s drive to widen participation in, and raise awareness of, UK higher education.

“This specific project aims to raise participation among hard to reach groups, for example students with disabilities.”

Sam Fry, disabled students officer, commented: “Rather than looking at disability as an individual problem, I prefer to see society as the problem and so it is the access barriers and social exclusion that disables people.

“It is pleasing to see the University using its technical expertise to help remove these barriers so that disabled people can move a step closer to full participation with society.”