The Walking Dead Series Blog – Inmates

The gang are back together – kind of. Most of the group feature in the second episode following the mid-season finale, although they’re divided into the teams that they escaped the prison with.

The first group we follow are the unlikely pair Daryl and Beth, who are searching for the rest of the group, but only because Beth pushes him to keep hope that everyone is still alive. Daryl is nearly completely silent in this episode, he just throws a lot of silent judging glares at Beth; it seems that her optimism is unsuccessful.

Another unlikely group turned out to be my favourite part of the episode. It consisted of Tyreese, Lizzie (resident kid psycho) and her sister Mika, with the surprising addition of Judith, Rick’s daughter, who was rescued by the group. It’ll be great to see Judith, Carl and Rick reunite, that is, if Lizzie doesn’t kill her by then. We get more of the potential serial killer personality we saw in Lizzie at the prison, when she happily massacres a rabbit for fun and then almost smothers Judith to death when she won’t stop crying. It can’t be easy carrying around a baby in the apocalypse, but Lizzie definitely has some screws loose, so it’s a good thing that Carol comes upon them before Judith is killed. Now the group has better chances of survival with Carol and her maternal instincts, but there are still the underlying tensions of the fact that Carol killed Tyreese’s girlfriend (though I’m thinking she was covering for Lizzie). Thankfully they find a map to a supposed sanctuary, which gives the difficult group some hope.

Our third group is Maggie, Sasha and Bob who spend the episode searching for Glenn. A mostly uneventful section of the episode, but it really showed how much Maggie loves Glenn when she faces a bus full of walkers to check that her husband is still alive.

Lastly we have Glenn (he’s alive!) and Tara, a girl who helped in the attack on the prison and obviously regrets it. They fight their way out of the prison in order to find Maggie and come across a trio of new characters who end the episode. To those familiar with the graphic novel, this first appearance from Abraham, Eugene and Rosita suggests there’s going to be some serious plot development, which is definitely needed.