Photo; Warwick University

University staff walk out again

The University and College Union (UCU) members in the Higher Education (HE) sector walked out for the third time over inadequate pay since October for two hours on Thursday 23 January.

A further two-hour strike took place on Tuesday 28 January from 2pm to 4pm, which also saw action from the Warwick University UCU representatives.

The action was to oppose a meagre one percent rise in the staff’s salary, which have otherwise gone down by 13 percent in real terms since 2009.

The pay cuts have been sustained despite the fact that Warwick University declared a £19.5 million surplus last year.
Academic staff say they are expected to deliver more, teach bigger classes and raise teaching standards despite unsatisfactory increases in pay.

Dennis Leech, joint president of Warwick UCU branch commented on the issue.

“Universities can easily afford to pay decent wages.

“Most of them raised student fees above cost, which resulted in fat surpluses, and big salary increases for vice chancellors and other senior staff.

“What is particularly annoying the members, is that Warwick University is refusing to pay even the minimum amount of money, i.e. 2.5 percent, it budgeted for pay rises in its financial plan, and instead paying only one percent.”

An open letter signed by 827 students and staff has been sent to vice chancellor professor Nigel Thrift to express the staff’s concern over the matter.

Another one day strike is scheduled for Thursday 6 February in which all three campus unions (UCU, Unison and Unite) involved in the dispute will take part.