Thrift rumours unfounded, according to press office

Rumours that the vice-chancellor of Warwick University, Nigel Thrift, is to step down are unfounded, according to the University press office.

After receiving an email yesterday alleging that the vice-chancellor is not set to renew his contract at the end of the year, the Boar investigated the issue.

Peter Dunn, head of communications and the press office at Warwick University, said: “This is utter and complete nonsense, I am afraid.”

He said that a “poorly informed person” had spoken to local publications.

Mr Dunn is currently at Monash University in Australia.

Sir George Cox, the pro-chancellor and chair of council has since said that Mr. Thrift’s contract will be extended into 2016.

“Following a meeting of University Council today (Thursday 13 February), we can now confirm that the vice chancellor, Professor Nigel Thrift, has agreed to the Council’s wish to extend his current term of office into 2016.

“This is a further acknowledgment of his excellent leadership which the Council wishes to continue as we navigate the many opportunities and challenges that our University is facing.”

Rumours have been flying across social media by students at the University, after articles were published by the Birmingham Post and the Coventry Telegraph.

Nigel Thrift has been the second-longest serving vice chancellor in the University’s history. He took up his position in 2006.

***Updated Thursday, February 13 at 6:47pm***