Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Study reveals a shortage of skilled workers in the UK

Research has shown that a poor skills base, inadequate qualifications and experience in the workforce is preventing businesses from taking advantage of economic recovery. 

Inadequate skills appear to be hitting some industries harder than others, with more shortages in areas such as manufacturing, construction and plumbing, as well as in health and social care.

In a survey of 91,000 employers, the UK Commission for Employment and Skills (UKCES) found that more than one in five vacancies are due to a shortage of skilled workers.

The study also found that employers struggled to find employees with adequate communication, literacy and numeracy skills.

Almost half of employers across the UK also admitted to recruiting people with higher levels of skills and knowledge than required for the job.

Neil Carberry, director for employment and skills for the Confederation of British Industry (CBI), said that an expansion of high-quality apprenticeships and “learn while you earn” schemes are needed to meet the needs of both businesses and employees.

He also said that there: “must be a sea change in the quality of careers advice in schools” who should work more closely with key sectors facing shortages.

Warwick Manufacturing Group is currently developing an academy for young engineers for local 14 to 19 year olds.

The University is working with over 40 key employers including Jaguar Land Rover, International Business Machines, National Grid and Automotive Insulations.

The curriculum will focus on engineering, ICT and digital technologies, running more business-minded and practical activities.

The academy opposite the Westwood Academy in Coventry is offering 640 places and is scheduled to start teaching in September 2014.

Dr Ralf Speth, the chief executive of Jaguar Land Rover, said: “WMG is the perfect partner to help develop our engineering community and I am delighted that so many of our employees will be able to study for a manufacturing or engineering degree at one of the UK’s leading academic institutions.”

Duane Upchurch, who completed his study with WMG in 2012, said: “My experiences at WMG have far surpassed my initial expectations […] It is clear that they are taking massive strides to bridge the gap between industry and academia, by providing practical solutions to real business problems.”

Bethany Lucas, a fourth-year CAS student, said: “I think my degree has given me a range of skills […] there are many employers who take on students without some form of training with the company.”