Julie Wilson Nimmo, otherwise known as Miss Hoolie of 'Balamory' fame. Joshua fondly remembers serving her a pint.

Editors’ Letters: Part-time empowerment

Whether it be ensuring you make the most of the university’s countless societies, gaining that all important work experience, or just saying YOLO (or WAMM, see Issue 6) once in a while, there are many things that make our personal university experience. There is one aspect, however, that seems to go under the radar: the old ‘ball-and-chain’ of a part-time job.

It is a common argument that the only reason you’d get a job at university is to help fund your lavish student lifestyle. Let’s face it; a student loan only goes so far, so if you’re the type of person who revels in three nights a week at Smack, perhaps a few hours work on the side is a necessary evil.

But a job at university should not just be seen as a means to earning some extra cash on the side – it can
offer so much more than that. Firstly, as clichéd as it sounds, a part-time job really does look great on
your CV. Not only can it offer you a wide variety of skills that you may not otherwise acquire on your degree
course, but employers will also be impressed by your capabilities in time management. After all, continually
working 10 or more hours a week whilst maintaining study for your degree – not to mention any other societies, sports and volunteering you do – is a feat worth mentioning.

A job can also be a great way to escape from some of the stresses and that university life can impose on you. As much as we joke, there can come those moments when essay deadlines, grad scheme applications and food-thieving housemates begin to take their toll. They can also offer opportunities for great new experiences – not all the best uni memories are made at Pop! For me, serving a pint of beer to Miss Hoolie (of Balamory fame) during my second year will forever stand out as one of my lasting university highlights.

After all, continually working 10 or more hours a week whilst maintaining study […] is a feat worth mentioning.

And finally, it goes without saying that these jobs give you yet another chance to meet new people. Perhaps more importantly, these people might do completely different things to you, or maybe don’t even go to Warwick at all. This can provide a nice break from the contrived discussions of course modules and give you the time to make a whole raft of new mates.

There will always be the argument that, if not financially required, a part-time job at university is just taking up your valuable socialising time, and this is by no means wrong.

[divider]
Header Image Courtesy of Flickr.com /Steve Bowbrick