News in brief February 5

———————————————————————————————————————————————————

Warwick students are to launch a satellite into space in 2015. Warwick University Satellite Team (WUSAT) will send the WUSAT2 – designed and built by third and fourth-year Engineering students – 100 kilometres into space. The team beat off competition from undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD teams from all over Europe to be one of nine student projects selected to be taken into space by the European Space Agency rocket, REXUS, next year.

The Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics will be screened live from the Big Screen on the Piazza, outside the Students’ Union. BBC coverage will be shown throughout the event – February 7-23 – starting with the Opening Ceremony at 3.30pm on Friday 7 February. It is the second time that Russia have hosted an Olympic Games, following the Moscow 1980 Summer Games.

Succeed in Your Studies Week is to take place on campus between February 3-7, hosted by My Warwick Journey, part of Student Careers & Skills. Students can learn how to work efficiently, try out new ways of studying and learn how to put their skills to best use. There are drop-in sessions every day – from ‘Making the most of reading week’ to ‘Being enterprising: see a problem, create a solution’ – held at various locations around campus. Follow @WarwickSkills for more.

A Monash-Warwick alliance joint professor has been awarded a Wolfson Research Merit by the Royal Society just two months after receiving the Le Fèvre Memorial Prize from the Australian Academy of Science. The former award recognises outstanding scientific achievement while the latter is for outstanding research in chemistry by scientists under 40 years of age. Professor Sébastien Perrier divides his time between the University of Warwick’s Department of Chemistry and the Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences.