Bishop's Tachbrook, Warwickshire. Photo: John Clift / Flickr

New application for country park in Warwickshire

An application to build a housing site and country park in Warwickshire has been submitted by the A.C. Lloyd company to Warwickshire County Council.

Despite the same proposal being rejected in September, the company has submitted a fresh application to build new ‘garden suburbs’ containing 200 houses, a school, a shop and allotments.

If approved, the new development will be situated off Harbury Lane, a mile from Bishops Tachbrook.

Spokesperson for A.C. Lloyd, Alistair Clarke, commented: “The original application was refused by the planning committee in September despite a firm recommendation for approval by Warwick District Council planning officers.

“The company has reviewed the reasons for the refusal and has carried out some additional reports which resolve a number of reasons for refusal identified by the committee in the first application.

“It is now hopeful of the application gaining approval.”

In September, district councillors rejected the initial application over the fears of parish councillors in Bishops Tachbrook.

The parish councillors feared that their village would merge into the new development.

Mr. Clark, however, felt that the proposed country park – to be established between the development and Bishops Tachbrook – would provide a satisfactory buffer zone.

Ray Bullen, parish councillor for Bishops Tachbrook, was unconvinced: “Why do we need a country park when we have one already – it’s called the countryside.”

Students were divided on the creation of the new country park.

Second-year History and French student Louise Bond said: “Warwick Campus is not fantastic for greenery, so I think the creation of a new country park in Warwickshire would be an excellent development.”

Andreas Avraam, a second-year undergraduate student, disagreed: “Greenery is always nice, but coming from London I do have a love of urban space. Warwickshire is already very green, I’m not sure another park is really needed.”