Photo: Warwick Media Library

Law Society hosts Monash University students

Warwick Law Society is hosting three international students from Monash University in Melbourne, as part of the Warwick-Monash Alliance.

Executive members of the Warwick Law Society initially approached the Alliance Fund, alongside the President of the Monash Law Students’ society, with a combined aim of creating a partnership between the two universities.

The current president of the Law Society, Jack Busby, together with Lily Tomkins, George Kassimos and Rachael Aitken, began planning the application last summer.

They were supported by Gerard Henry and Warwick Students’ Union and had frequent correspondence with Monash University.

Following a successful application, it was agreed that an International Collaborative Moot would best fulfill the aim of the Alliance Fund of breaking boundaries through transnational learning.

Warwick Law Society prides itself on having a broad international focus, with many students wishing to pursue a career abroad.

The moot intends to challenge participants by stimulating a legal debate, primarily analysing and arguing a point of law. In order to encourage international collaboration, each team will be comprised of students from both Law Faculties.

The events will commence on Monday 17 February and will be sponsored by the law firm, Baker & McKenzie.

The students will all be mooting an English case, however the Law Society hope that this alliance will continue to expand with Warwick students travelling to Australia for a similar event next year.

Vinesh Mistry and Divya Puri will represent Warwick. Vinesh is a third-year Law student and Divya is currently in her second year of European Law, her third year will be spent studying abroad at Monash University.

Lily Tomkins, third-year Law undergraduate and Treasurer of the Warwick Law Society said, “I am hugely excited to be part of such a unique event and I hope that we can leave a valuable legacy for law students in the future.”

She hopes that the International Collaborative Mooting Competition will become an annual event.