Final shot: Can Brian O'Driscoll lead Ireland to Grand Slam glory in possibly his final ever Six Nations? photo: M+MD

Ireland ‘set for Grand Slam’

Ireland

Ireland have looked the strongest of any team so far, in particular their tactical kicking, along their ball retention and tough defence have been very impressive. Connor Murray and Jonny Sexton have controlled both games from half-back, and the relative new boys in the back row, Chris Henry and Peter O’Mahoney, have been a nuisance for the opposition. Provided that Joe Schmidt’s men keep performing at this level, I don’t believe that any of the other teams have the ability to deny them a Grand Slam.

Prediction: 1st

France

As usual the French have been extremely inconsistent, mixing some brilliant periods with horrific ones. In both games so far they have only performed well for one half, with Gael Fickou’s winning score against England undoubtedly coming against the run of play. Similarly, other than the fifteen minute period against Italy when Fofana, Bonneval and Picamoles scored, they looked unconvincing against the feisty Italian forwards. Some rugby pundits including Stuart Barnes argued before the tournament that there has historically been a Lions Tour ‘hangover’ which has been benefitted France, but you can bet your dwindling student loan that the French will lose a very winnable game at some point (hopefully to Scotland for comic effect).

Prediction: 3rd

England

Aside from the first half against France, England have played with structure and precision under the direction of Owen Farrell, who looks more comfortable as an international fly-half with every game. They were unlucky to lose against France, having dominated the second half.

Luther Burrell’s performances have been promising; however there are question marks over how he will gel with Tuilagi when the injured centre eventually returns. Both are primarily strike runners at the outside centre position and do not possess the same handling skills as Billy Twelvetrees. Whilst Billy Twelvetrees has not played badly, he doesn’t really look as though he belongs at inside centre on the international stage.

The rumours of Sam Burgess’s potential switch to union are also intriguing. The prospect of a Burgess and Tuilagi centre partnership would surely terrify opposing teams, as followers of rugby league will remember how he outplayed Sonny Bill Williams in England’s heartbreaking loss to New Zealand in the World Cup in November.

Prediction: 2nd

Wales

Wales are the biggest surprise of the tournament so far, having been pushed very close in their first encounter against Italy and being utterly outclassed by Ireland on Sunday. Whilst they have committed countless unforced handling errors, they have looked good going forward after quick ball, with Cuthbert and Roberts breaking the gain line repeatedly. However, George North, arguably Wales’ best player of 2013 and a consistently impressive performer in the Premiership this season, has failed to show up, which has had disastrous implications for Welsh hope, but more importantly for my fantasy team. Even the Welsh fans’ rendition of ‘Bread of Heaven’ in Dublin sounded less energetic than the average ‘God Save the Queen’ at Twickenham.

However, Welsh fans might take heart from the fact that their team were in a similar position at this point last year, and only really ignited against England. As an English fan, I have a horrible feeling that the Welsh performances so far are merely a blip as opposed to a long-term trend.

Prediction: 4th

Italy

It seems like we say this every year, but despite the valiant efforts of their huge pack, Italy ultimately do not have the firepower to compete consistently with anybody other than Scotland. The immense contribution of Sergio Parisse over the last few years cannot be understated, and he really has been the reason that Italy have managed to not finish last every year. The man’s versatility is staggering, and I truly believe that were he an All Black, Parisse would be part of the conversation about the best player in the world.

Prediction: 5th

Scotland

Scotland have looked woeful over the past two weeks, although the suggestion by Jeremy Guscott that they no longer deserve to compete in the tournament is too harsh. However, there is little that this team has done well in the first two rounds, and even Stuart Hogg, Scotland’s only threatening player with the ball in hand, has performed well short of his usually electrifying standards.

Prediction: 6th