Photo: Warwick Media Library

Grade inflation in universities disputed

A recent study has revealed that rising university grades are due to students being better prepared for their degrees.

The study, conducted by Lancaster University, has challenged the supposed problem of grade inflation within the UK. It argues that the improvement in students’ degree grades comes as a result of the better quality of students – based on a summary of A-Level entries.

The rise in degree grades, which highlighted that 70 percent of students gained a 2:2 or above in the 2012-13 academic year, has been attributed to the more positive analysis that students are improving. This combats the view that universities inflate grades to safeguard their reputation.

The findings, however, claim that top universities are more likely to award their students higher degrees.

When asked if this was the case for the University of Warwick, Politics lecturer John Parkinson claimed: “I have never had the merest hint of pressure to award higher grades.”

In agreement with the research study, Mr Parkinson said: “I do think the quality of student work is getting better. The effort that goes into this across the board, from learning skills to teaching quality, is enormous, so I’d be worried if the outcomes were not improving.

“I sleep-walked my way through my first degree, only waking up half way through third year. You can’t get away with that now.”