There will be a talk from Google. Photo: Flickr; keso

All day marketing conference to be held on campus

Warwick Marketing Society has invited speakers from brand-name companies to present at the Warwick Marketing Conference.

The conference entitled ‘Creativity, change and innovation’ will be held at the University in the Warwick Business School Teaching Centre on 8 March 2014.

The event  starts at 9am and finishes at 7pm with talks from representatives of OTTO (public relations company), WARC (online marketing intelligence service), IPG (advertising and marketing), Sainsbury’s, Cancer Research and Google.

The list of speakers includes the head of corporate responsibility and society at Sainsbury’s, Sarah Ellis, and the global insides leader for Google, Ryan den Rooijen.

The symposium is aimed at people who have some experience in marketing as well as those who are unsure about what marketing entails.

The speakers will share their work experience with attendees and will talk about their roles within companies.

The organisers hope the event will be an opportunity to engage and educate students and provide them with a practical insight into the academic curriculum.

Joe Tulasiewicz, third-year Philosophy student and chief conference organiser said: “The purpose of the conference is to demystify the often-misunderstood profession of marketing.

“Frequently marketing is dismissed as stiflingly corporate, the art of making people buy what they do not need.

“As a conference organiser, I want to demonstrate not only that marketing is a haven for creative and innovative people, but that it can be done with a social conscience.”

Ben Smith, third-year management student and speaker coordinator, commented: “The breadth of degrees studied by our speakers demonstrates that whatever your academic background, you can make it in marketing.”

This is the first conference organised by Warwick Marketing Society on such a large-scale.

Warwick Marketing Society previously hosted events from Rory Sutherland (Vice President of Ogilvy and Mather), Patrick Collister (Head of Design at Google) and Professor Malcolm McDonald (Emeritus Professor of Marketing).