Photo: Warwick media library

Chemistry society promotes student teaching

The Chemistry society at the Students’ Union, ChemSoc, has run successful initiatives to promote student-to-student teaching and the engagement of postgraduate students.

The society started student-led classes last year, with third-year undergraduates providing sessions for first- and second-years during the revision period.

Following on from the popularity of the classes, this year sees third- and fourth-year students as well as postgraduates volunteering to provide revision sessions for prior year groups.

Undergraduate fourth-years held revision sessions for third-years earlier this term in the lead up to the January exams.

ChemSoc have also introduced a new post graduate representative position for the coming 2014-15 society executive elections in an aim to give postgraduates a stronger voice with the Department of Chemistry.

The society has seen significant growth in the past two years, rebranding from Atomic to ChemSoc.

Victoria Hunter, president of ChemSoc, told the Boar: “ChemSoc has gone from nothing to a really great society through a community and friendship ethos.

“Everything we do is with the intention to bring people from all years together and make the course a more enjoyable, sociable experience.”

Rosa Sullivan, a third-year Chemistry student, took part in classes earlier this term: “I have taken part in a couple of ChemSoc’s student-led classes this year, and they’re really helpful.

“They’re usually based on a past exam paper, and run by a student who has a really good grasp of the module.

“While students are no replacement for lecturers, often they are able to check their answers with the lecturer beforehand so it really feels like we’re getting twice as much revision help.

“Honestly, I think more subject societies should consider running them.”

The Department of Chemistry also promotes student-led teaching.

PhD students in the department are obliged to supervise, or demonstrate, laboratory classes for undergraduates.

PhD demonstrators are paid for their teaching time but elements of the department-run scheme have been criticised.

These complaints include minimal or no break throughout the lab and the requirement of unpaid marking time.

An anonymous PhD demonstrator commented: “More time is spent marking work than in the lab so when the hours are added up and the pay is averaged out, it is below minimum wage.”

There is also a view that unpaid marking time encourages demonstrators to rush the marking.

The weekly labs are credited as part of the undergraduate degree and typically last five hours.

Daniel Warr, a fourth-year Chemistry undergraduate, said: “Demonstrators should be paid for all the work they do not just what they do in the lab.

“Often they spend lots of time answering questions over the whole week about lab write-ups and not to mention the time spent marking the reports and giving feedback.

“Chemsoc’s new postgraduate position should help the PhD students have a more vocal podium from which they can voice their concerns.”