Cambridge makes a mockery of meritocracy

A few weeks ago, Prince William started his tailor-made course at Cambridge University. It seems innocuous enough, but when you look at the A level results (an A, B and C) he garnered, it makes you wonder how he even managed to be considered. However, the course is part of the Department of Technology, which Prince Charles conveniently happens to be the patron of. And so, in one swift and rather ill-thought out move, Cambridge makes a mockery of meritocracy.

His Royal Highness, Prince William visits IpswichAlthough successive governments and many university institutions have tried to change the perception of the public, and students are coming from increasingly diverse backgrounds, the idea that it’s who you know rather than what you know that helps you in life is still an axiom. And this is perhaps the biggest confirmation of recent years, showing that in some cases, it’s better to have a father who’s incredibly powerful (let’s not pretend the royal family aren’t, they are) rather than to actually try at school.

By doing this, Cambridge denigrate not only the public and the ideals of modern society, but also their own students. Many of them will have suffered through extra tuition, studied rigorously and tried harder than many of their peers just to be offered a place at this institution of British education. And yet, William is able to waltz in, with much lower grades than those typically required for any course at Cambridge, and take his course.

By doing this, Cambridge denigrate not only the public and the ideals of modern society, but also their own students.

To add salt to the wound, it has been announced that he will be charged discounted fees, paying just £10,000 for the course. Admittedly it’s only a 10-week course, but it’s a course that was made specifically for His Royal Highness. And whilst most of us will struggle with an average of £27,000 student debt, it’s not exactly as if William will have difficulty in paying off his fees, as the heir to a £40 million duchy.

3901249770_7b618de764_oThe university has defended its decision, Professor David Abulafia claiming that “one of the functions of a great university is to educate some of those who are destined for leadership.” But this is a leadership that none of us chose, and William is lucky enough to be destined for due to no other factor than his birth. It doesn’t matter that he isn’t clever enough to get into Cambridge, or that the taxpayers will effectively subsidise his education.

The saddest thing is, this exposes Britain’s incipient classism, something which has been becoming less of a problem as of late. At Warwick especially, students from all backgrounds mingle, and although there is a strong focus on business and how to make money, you don’t feel like Warwick is somewhere that a particularly influential alumnus would have any sway over the final decision of the departments. And that is how every university should be, if we aim for class to stop being a social barrier in everyday British life.

[divider] flikr.com/llee_wu

[divider] flikr.com/departmentofdefence