Photo: Dan Mountain

The Boar bakes cakes

A bake sale organised by members of the Boar raised £66.56 for Warwick Youth Phab, a student-run youth club for disabled and able-bodied young people in Leamington.

While handing out the latest issue of the newspaper, organisers offered passers-by the opportunity to donate to the charity in exchange for home-baked goods.

The Boar bakes!Set up a year ago, Warwick Youth Phab runs five nights a term including games, crafts and themed events.

Daniel Mountain, former Comment editor at the Boar who has been involved in the charity, said: “Our hope is that the club will continue for a very long time and we’re always looking for both student and local volunteers to come and help out.”

He added that the bake sale, held in the Students’ Union atrium on 6 February was a “huge success”, especially as it took place on a strike day when campus was largely “deserted”.

“We even had to compete with a graduate recruitment stall dishing out free cupcakes!”

Mr Mountain said: “The work done by the Boar in fundraising for us is going to make a huge difference.

“The money will be going towards ensuring we can continue to rent out the centre we operate in, as well as taking our young people out on a day trip.”

Raghav Bali, film editor at the Boar, second-year Economics undergraduate and organiser of the bake sale, has confirmed that a Boar pub quiz will be running on Week 8 to continue fundraising.