Photo: Warwick Media Library

Anti-homophobia campaign supported by Warwick University

Sport Allies, a student founded and organised charitable programme fighting against homophobia and bullying is being supported by Warwick University this week.

The programme has been created on the back of the success of the Warwick Rowing Club’s annual Naked Calendar, also aimed at combating discrimination against homosexuals.

First launched in 2009, the 2013 calendar gained much publicity and many plaudits both within Warwick University and beyond.

Sport Allies was set up last year in partnership with registered national charity Educational Action Challenging Homophobia (EACH).

Together, they have created an outreach programme for universities and schools to encourage inclusivity and openness, especially in sport.

As part of the Students’ Union Sport Allies week, Ernst and Young, who are supporting the Rowers’ Calendar project, held a Diversity and Global Mindset workshop.

At circling on Wednesday February 5, sports teams were encouraged to wear a hint of purple in support of the cause.

Angus Malcom, the Producer of Warwick Rowers’ calendars and films, told the Boar that without the support of the gay community the calendars would not have been as successful.

“We decided to send an unequivocal message to the world that straight athletes doing a naked calendar can wholeheartedly embrace the support and appreciation of gay men”.

“I’m a gay man who grew up in another time, when the idea of a university sports team challenging homophobia would have been unthinkable, let alone that the challenge would take the form of straight athletes joyfully stripping off for their gay fans.”

For more information, you can visit www.sportallies.org.