Glory girls: Warwick Women's Football 2nds edged out local rivals Coventry in a thriller. photo: Women's Football

Women’s Football again too good for Coventry

Today’s match against Coventry 2nds was a classic example of what positivity and perseverance can do for a team.

UWWFC 2nds were up against a far more menacing-looking and taller Coventry team than they faced in the previous match. Due to this, overall confidence was low in the first 10 or so minutes and Coventry managed to scrape two goals in quick succession.

However the team quickly woke up and started playing beautiful passes around the Coventry players, testing their fitness and pace.

2-0 down was not a good position to be in after 10 minutes into the game, and acted as a reminder for UWWFC that the 15-0 victory against Coventry earlier in the season, as reported by the Boar, could not be replicated.

Annie Stone soon brought UWWFC back in the game after a perfectly timed set-up from Jenny George. Not long after that, Hannie Boyle won the ball in a mad scramble after a corner and blasted it into the roof of the net.

The half-time whistle blew at 2-2, leaving all to play for in the second half.

The half-time team talk from acting captain Ruby Compton-Davies was encouraging and spurred the whole team on. Not long into the second half Jenny George scored with a shot beautifully positioned tightly into the bottom left corner beyond the despairing goalkeeper after an excellent through-ball from Divya Pathak.

UWWFC managed to take control of the game after that, sealing a much-needed victory after a run of defeats.

Helen Babalola’s stunning defensive performance earned her – unanimously – the Player of the Match award. UWWFC’s tense win was a testament to their drastically improved fitness and team spirit.