Photo: One World Week

Warwick’s Got Talent 2014 first auditions

One World Week held auditions for its first Warwick’s Got Talent competition, a talent show based on the popular UK reality TV series Britain’s Got Talent.

The prize for the winner of Warwick’s Got Talent is a chance to perform at the One World Week Summer Party.

First round auditions were held in LIB1 on Thursday, with the remaining auditions taking place in the Engineering building.

The auditions gave students the chance to showcase their talents in singing, performing arts and any creative abilities they had. Students were welcomed to audition as solo acts or in groups of up to six people.

When asked whether the prize to perform at the Summer Party represents a bias towards singers, Ria Sethi, team leader of Warwick’s Got Talent, said: “The slot in the Summer Party is for the most entertaining act in Warwick’s Got Talent, regardless of its genre or category. 

“The acts will be judged against criteria like creativity, on-stage presence as well as how engaging these performances are, preventing any bias that may come towards singers.”

Andy King, a second-year Philosophy student who auditioned as a performance poet, spoke about his talent. ” I found [performance poetry] in March of last year and got really into it, I went to the Fringe Festival and met loads of spoken word poets there.

“[The performance poets are] really cool, because it’s not the kind of thing you can talk about on a bus without coming across like a pretentious arse, whereas at those [spoken word events], it’s acceptable because everyone’s there and you’ve seen each other already.”

Once all of the finalists have been chosen, there will be a chance for two acts who didn’t get through to reach the final through the ‘Wild Card’ entry. Students will be able to vote for the acts who didn’t get through, giving them a chance to perform in the final.

The final of Warwick’s Got Talent will take place on 28 January in the Copper Rooms.