Photo: Lunar and Planetary Institute / Flickr

Warwick lecturer shortlisted to live on Mars

A researcher from Warwick’s Physics department has recently been shortlisted for a one-way mission to Mars. Dr Keith Evans beat off more than 200,000 applicants to join a group of 1,058 hopefuls.

In 2015, groups selected from the first batch will go through rigorous training, and 24 will make it to the red planet.

The mission is the work of Mars One, a non-profit organization that aims to create the first ever human colony on Mars. Dr Evans said that he believes applicants were set apart by “a high education, specially in the sciences.”

The next stage of the process focuses on physical training and psychological resilience. When asked how he’d fare in this stage of the process, Dr Evans revealed that he thought he had an “above average chance” due to his “good hearing and eyesight” and “lack of reliance on medications.”

Anna Blackaby, the University of Warwick international press officer and faculty of science press officer commented that Dr Evans’ shortlist was “quite an achievement” and that the University “wish him the best of luck with his application.”

Dr Evans added: “The press office have been helpful in setting up major interviews.”

First-year Maths student Joseph Scull said: “I expected the mission to be headed by astronauts, superstarsand really rich people. You don’t expect a Warwick researcher to be doing that, so it’s really cool.”

The training stage will also focus on each group’s ability to deal with long periods of time in a remote location. Dr Evans emphasised the importance of “group cohesion” and a “focus on what you’re doing.”

He also revealed his calmness about possible feelings of homesickness.

He told the Boar: “My parents were supportive when I was considering studying in other countries and it’ll be just like that, I won’t lose touch with them.”

The candidates who reach Mars will be able to send and receive video messages from the planet.

• Obsidian Thunderstorm PHD

You know who else was shortlisted to live on Mars? Chris. Tarrant. Obsidian Thunderstorm PHD