The Showstoppers (2012), photo: WAC

Interview: Showstoppers, the improvised musical makers

Showstopper! The Improvised Musical is back at Warwick Arts Centre. I blame my Asian aunties who made me suspicious of musicals after calling them ‘the white version of Bollywood’. But Showstoppers will budge the suspicious and convict the oh so serious theatre-goers out there that musicals can be clever and hilarious. The Showstoppers, an improvised-comedy-musical-theatre troupe, were put together in 2008, and since then they have built up a solid reputation as being the best improv group at the Edinburgh Fringe. They bizarrely dabbled in radio in 2011, and since last year, opened themselves up to a family audience. Even then, the formula remains the same: using the audience’s suggestions for a plot and favourite musical, off they go. Their bizarre story-lines, embellished with energetic dance numbers makes the room feel electric. If it does seem silly at times, especially when the plot might be lost somewhere down the line, the audience are sobered up by amazing vocals. No performance is ever the same. Before they go on show next week, Boar Arts took the opportunity to interview Pippa Evans from the company. 

Boar Arts: How much has the Showstoppers changed since you started?

Showstoppers: We started Showstopper by trying to figure out what it was in various rehearsal rooms around London. When we began we didn’t know HOW to do it, but we knew our aim was to make an improvised musical as if it were from the West End. Let’s just say it didn’t quite live up to that to begin with. More like a lost bunch of actors and comedians trying to say “yes” to each other.

BA: How different is it doing improv live in performance and on radio?

S: Well, you have to make sure you describe your surroundings rather than mime them!

BA: Would you like to grace the airwaves again?

S: We’re currently working on a Podcast and touring the World, but we wouldn’t rule out returning to Radio 4. We had a great time! 

BA: In the theatre, what is the secret to your success?

S: Working super hard! And loving musicals and improvisation. We are generous to each other. And we eat a lot of cake. In most things, cake is the answer.

BA: Considering how difficult improvisation can be, what is more difficult: keeping to your random inventive plot or piecing it all together?

S: Probably piecing it all together. The invented plot is easy to stick to – it’s invented! Trying to make it make sense at the end is the hard bit.

BA: What are the worst or most difficult suggestions you have ever had to piece together?

S: One that springs to mind is a musical in a Pickle Jar. That was pretty tough – we did it though! Who knew so much happened in there. The hardest suggestions are the ones that are set out to stifle us. When people say ‘The Moon’ it’s not generally cos they love the moon, but ’cause they want to see what we do with an unpopulated, uninhabitable space.

BA: So who are your best audiences, the ones with children or without?

S: We love having kids in the audience – they come up with brilliant suggestions. One of our favourite shows was called ‘What is it like backstage at a Theatre?’ which came from a kid. When it’s late night – it’s really different and such a wild energy – anything can happen! So I guess we like them both, but for very different reasons.

BA: Are there any notable stories which come to mind?

S: Hmmm, that’s a tough one! Well there was the time we played to a room full of grannies who walked out half way through because they thought they were coming to see a show of songs from the musicals. They thought we’d picked really obscure numbers!

BA: And finally, what do you think of the conspiracy theorists who believe that you are too good to be true?

S: Best compliment ever! 

With that in mind, it would be silly not to see the Showstoppers live. 

Showstopper! The Improvised Musical comes to Warwick Arts Centre on Saturday 25 January 2014.