Photo: Flickr / warcuy

Scientists discover molecular communication method using vodka

A team of scientists at Warwick and the University of York in Canada have discovered a way to send encoded text messages through evaporated vodka.

The technique, called molecular signalling, is used where electromagnetic waves will not work.

Scientists believe that their experiment is the first text message to be sent entirely by molecular communication.

For another experiment, they transmitted the lyrics to the Canadian national anthem across several meters using a desk fan.

Dr. Weisi Guo, a researcher based at the University of Warwick’s School of Engineering, said: “Imagine sending a detailed message using perfume – it sounds like something from a spy thriller novel, but in reality it is an incredibly simple way to communicate.”

The science behind the method means that a generic message is changed into binary signals, which in turn is ‘programmed’ into evaporated alcohol molecules.

The researchers believe it can be used to transport messages in difficult underground environments such as pipes and nanotechnology.
Molecular communication is used in the animal kingdom; bees for example use chemicals in pheromones to signal to others when there is a threat to the hive.

The scientists’ results are published in the open access journal PLOS ONE.