Review: Downton Abbey Christmas Special

In the first series of Downton Abbey, the ‘will they, won’t they?’ romance between Mary and Matthew was arguably the most drawing plotline in a highly entertaining narrative.

Millions of us watched in fascination as Mary’s initial contempt for Matthew dissolved away to reveal her truly loving feelings, and we became hooked from the offset.

The famous proposal of Christmas 2011 felt like the present that we all had secretly hoped for.

Two years later, and with Matthew’s death fading further into the distance, writer Julian Fellowes had a large task ahead of him to keep Downton as a staple part of our television festivities.

Perhaps in answer to that, he has pushed Mary into a completely new love triangle – should she choose Lord Gillingham or Charles Blake?

In this year’s Christmas offering, we saw Mary struggling with this very decision as she pitted the suitors off against each other, often in a way that did not paint her in a very good light.

Julian Fellowes had a large task ahead of him to keep Downton as a staple part of our television festivities

Personally, I find both Gillingham and Blake rather dull, and they both seem to reiterate just how irreplaceable the character of Matthew really is.

Lord Gillingham comes across as quite desperate in his insane need for Mary to marry him, but it seems that there is little else to his character.

Charles Blake is more interesting, especially given his vehement opposition to the aristocracy. However, during the Christmas special, he started to appear like a watered down version of Matthew, which may undermine him somewhat.

I must admit that I found the episode’s central plotline strange. When the Prince of Wales’ letter was stolen by the troublesome Sampson, it fell upon Rose and Mary to ensure that the document was found and returned to its rightful owner before any harm could come of it. My problem with this was that I found it hard caring about a character that I hadn’t met before. I didn’t really mind whether or not the prince’s letter was discovered, and I actually found myself hoping that the Crawleys would be unable to retrieve it. But, to my disappointment, the letter was quickly found and returned, leaving viewers wondering exactly what the significance of that plot was.

As ever, events in the servants’ quarters provided much of the entertainment. The plots in this section have remained unerringly strong since the programme first began.

Daisy acquired an American admirer in Levinson’s valet – a fact that provoked the familiar sight of Mr Carson’s eyebrows shooting halfway up his forehead in disgust. Despite rejecting the man, her dialogue with Mrs Patmore confirmed her happiness in having been the object of somebody’s affections, an eternal storyline.

Meanwhile, the sight of Carson and Mrs Hughes holding hands as they paddled in the sea was a heart-warming moment.

Cora’s family came from America for the debutantes ball, with the performance of Shirley MacLaine as brilliant as ever. The relationship of her character, Martha Levinson, and Maggie Smith’s Violet Crawley is a match made in television heaven.

An interesting theme of the episode was the contrast between the decline of the British aristocracy and the rise of American wealth. Lord Aysgarth, a man of high status, was desperately trying to make an acquaintance with a rich American. He encouraged his daughter to flirt with Mr Harold Levinson, and in his search for a rich American widow, pursued Cora’s mother, Martha. Comically enough, she swiftly turned him and his titles down, reflecting the changes that the roaring twenties were bringing with them. As the Crawley family looked with anxiety towards the future, the Levinsons seemed confident in themselves and their situation.

Whilst it may not have lived up to the heady heights of two years previously, Downton Abbey’s Christmas offering was brilliantly entertaining. If the show can continue to maintain the same charm for another series, I suspect that fans will stay loyal for a little while yet.

Downton Abbey is set to return for a fifth series later in the year 

• Lots of holes in the story line. Why not just send one of the men to search the flat? And would the porter not have mentioned the supposed illness to him when he returned? And no-one turns a hair when Edith tells them she is probably going to the continent while they are all still partying in London. Why does Edith not have a maid? And when are the downstairs folk going to get nominated for awards? Mrs Patmore especially, and Daisy are absolutely brilliant. Daisy had such a pretty dress in the final beach scene. What has happened to Bates limp and cane?