Photo: flickr; collegedegrees360

Record number of students attend University

The number of students accepted onto full-time university courses has reached an all time high according to figures from the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).

2013 saw the highest overall number of entrants into university, with almost 496,000 students beginning full-time undergraduate courses, 

More students from lower income families have also been given places. This comes as a surprise to many as it was expected that higher tuition fees would discourage prospective students.

Ife Akinroyeje, a first-year History and Sociology student, is not surprised by the statistics. She commented: “Now there is more competition for jobs so university has become necessary. And for the poorer students there are far more grants, bursaries and scholarships available.”

UCAS figures revealed that among those applying, many are eligible for free school meals. White youngsters were the least likely to go to university, compared with Asian and black students. 

UCAS chief Mary Curnock said fears over higher fees had proved “premature”. She added: “We can see that the dip in demand in 2012 was perhaps a pause for thought.” 

The rise in students is likely to increase with the government announcing plans to remove the cap on the number of students entering university. 

Figures from UCAS also showed a high level of acceptances, with 85 percent of applicants in England awarded a place. Top universities across the country accepted 10,000 more students than in 2012, an increase of nearly 10 percent.

The statistics released by UCAS also indicate universities giving more places to students with lower grades, with 17 percent of places at top universities going to students who had not achieved grades ABB at A-Level or its equivalent. 

The report also shows that of students predicted to achieve ABB grades at A-level, only 30 percent achieve these grades.