Panel to discuss income inequality in Week 2

Photo: Warwick Labour

Photo: Warwick Labour

Warwick Labour have organised a panel of speakers to debate the issue of income inequality in Britain. The discussion will take place on Tuesday 14 January at 6pm in S0.13.

The panel consists of three speakers who were announced individually by Warwick Labour over the course of the past two weeks.

Faisa Shaheen from the New Economics Foundation (NEF) is the first speaker to be announced. She is a senior researcher at the NEF, a UK think tank promoting a transition to a more sustainable and socially just economy.

The second speaker to be announced by Warwick Labour is Madeleine Power from the Equality Trust, an independent campaign working to reduce income inequality.

Economist Ann Pettifor, director of policy research in macroeconomics and a fellow of the NEF, is the final panelist to be announced.

The discussion panel is part of Warwick Labour’s wider campaign against income inequality that will take place over the course of the week. There will be an accompanying event on the piazza allowing students to share why inequality matters to them as well as a poster campaign.

Will Tucker, the publicity officer for Warwick Labour, told the Boar: “From education to economics, the evidence is clear: we do better when we’re more equal.

“The problems facing students today, from a difficult, lopsided jobs market to the marketisation of higher education, unjust pay rises for university executives and pay cuts for staff, and of course skyhigh tuition fees, are all ultimately down to inequality. It’s Labour’s task to provide a radical and feasible alternative.”

Becky Gittens, a first-year Politics with International Studies undergraduate commented: “I’m looking forward to the event. Income inequality really needs to be on the agenda as it’s a growing problem that will continue to affect us as students.”