Dermot O'Leary will host this year's event at the O2 Arena in London photo: digitalspy

NTAs 2014: Possible Winners and Losers

It’s that time of year again when the awards shows roll into town – and the first event on the calendar is the National Television Awards this Wednesday.

As ever, the NTAs will see a host of popular TV programmes, presenters and actors going head-to-head for a variety of coveted awards, with speculation rife as to the favourites for some of the night’s big categories.

The award for Best Talent Show is set to continue as one of the most prestigious prizes. The X Factor, Strictly Come Dancing, Britain’s Got Talent, Dancing on Ice and The Voice UK are all nominated, as BBC and ITV continue to dominate this category.

After year’s of dominance for Simon Cowell’s singing-based juggernaut, Strictly looks set to capitalize on a weak year for The X Factor. Dancing on Ice and The Voice also suffered from inconsistent viewing figures, so Cowell’s other offering – Britain’s Got Talent – is likely to fight it out with the BBC’s ever-popular dancing contest.

Coronation Street has prevailed for the last two years in the Best Serial Drama category, and with Eastenders having experienced a year where plotlines and characters were criticised, the cobbled streets of Manchester may well be welcoming the trophy back for a third consecutive year.

Emmerdale and Hollyoaks are also up for the award, although they are unlikely to challenge after an impressive year for ‘Corrie’.

In the comedy section, the popular Mrs Brown’s Boys is the favourite, having already received awards and plaudits in abundance. Marmite-show Miranda and American sitcom The Big Bang Theory are the likeliest challengers to the comedy throne.

Coronation Street has prevailed for the last two years in the Serial Drama category [and] the cobbled streets of Manchester may well be welcoming the trophy back for a third consecutive year

The Best Drama award may be a similarly tight contest to call, although detective thriller Broadchurch is an obvious frontrunner after a massively successful first series. Downton Abbey’s most recent offering was widely seen as an average affair, so the consistence of Doctor Who and Call the Midwife will be the best chance of an upset there.

The Great British Bake Off, which received immense amounts of press coverage and ratings during its fourth series last year, seems a solid bet for the factual entertainment award. For The Love of Dogs will hope to retain the crown that it won last year, with old favourites in Top Gear and An Idiot Abroad always capable of success.

Several popular shows will vie for top spot in the daytime television category, although it is incredibly likely that previous winner This Morning will prevail over some student favourites in Pointless, The Chase and Jeremy Kyle.

The Radio Times TV Detective award boasts a shortlist of great quality

The Radio Times TV Detective award boasts a shortlist of great quality [photo: Radio Times]

Many are tipping Educating Yorkshire and Inside Death Row to compete in a straight shootout for the Best Documentary prize, whilst Ant and Dec’s dominance of the NTAs is unlikely to end soon – their Saturday Night Takeaway is almost a dead cert for Best Entertainment Programme.

Aside from awards for shows, there are also several prizes to celebrate acting achievements from the past year. The Best Newcomer award seems likely to go to Khali Best, who plays Dexter Hartman in Eastenders. Hollyoaks star Anna Passey will provide strong competition after she impressed critics with her portrayal of the feisty and calculating Sienna Blake.

The Best Serial Drama Performance award is likely to go to Coronation Street. The storyline of Hayley Cropper’s cancer struggle has dominated much of the past year, so the main debate will be whether Julie Hesmondhalgh or David Neilson (who plays Roy Cropper) will collect the trophy.

This Morning is likely to prevail over student favourites Pointless, The Chase and Jeremy Kyle for the Daytime Television category

A new category has been introduced this year in the form of the Radio Times TV Detective award – and it looks set to be a cracker . The contest will see Broadchurch’s David Tennant and Olivia Colman compete with the likes of Idris Elba (Luther), Bradley Walsh (Law and Order UK) and Suranne Jones (Scott & Bailey).

That long list of talent may have to make do with just a nomination, however, as the winner is likely to be Benedict Cumberbatch, following his stunning performances in the critically acclaimed third series of Sherlock.

No matter who wins, it is always a fun night for telly lovers, looking back at some of the best TV moments from the past year. Don’t miss it!

The National Television Awards 2014 will be live on ITV from 7.30pm, Wednesday January 22