It was another hugely successful night at the NTAs for Ant and Dec photo: BBC

NTAs 2014: The Ant and Dec Awards

There is a realistic possibility that the National Television Awards may have a different name by the time of next year’s ceremony in January.

Currently known as the NTAs, calls to rename them the ‘Ant and Dec Awards’ may not go unheeded, after the comedy presenting duo enjoyed another fruitful night at yesterday’s event at the O2 Arena.

The Geordie pair received the Landmark Award in recognition of their hugely impressive 25 years in the industry – a period which began with them starring as PJ and Duncan in Byker Grove, and has since seen them enjoy success with SM:TV, Saturday Night Takeaway and Britain’s Got Talent.

They also continued their unrivalled dominance in the Entertainment Presenter category, scooping the award for the 13th consecutive year following another brilliant series of I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! Just to give you an insight into how impressive that run is, the last person to win the prize before them was Michael Barrymore in 2000.

Coronation Street was the other big winner on the night, as the ITV soap triumphed in the Best Serial Drama series for a third year in a row.

Julie Hesmondhalgh won the Serial Drama Performance award for her moving performance as terminal cancer sufferer Hayley Cropper in the show – an emotional storyline which reached its climax earlier this week.

Ant and Dec received the Landmark Award in recognition of their hugely impressive 25 years in the industry

It was also a good night’s work for Doctor Who, with the show winning the Best Drama category and the outgoing Matt Smith seconding that with the gong for Best Drama Performance. Former Doctor David Tennant will have been disappointed that Broadchurch failed to receive any awards, despite being one of the most talked-about shows of 2013.

Perhaps the most predictable award of the night (bar Entertainment Presenter) was the TV Detective category, which deservedly went to Benedict Cumberbatch, after another incredible performance as Sherlock in the show of the same name.

One of the night’s biggest cheers was heard for the stars of Educating Yorkshire, which won Best Documentary. The reality programme, which mapped a year in the life of the student and staff body at a secondary school in Dewsbury, became a huge hit at the end of last year thanks to the entertaining variety of ‘characters’ on show.

Strictly Come Dancing won the much-anticipated battle of the talent shows, as The X Factor continued its speedy decline from apparent invincibility a few years ago.

This MorningMrs Brown’s Boys and I’m A Celebrity were amongst the other winners, but there was little doubt who the night belonged to. A selfie taken atop the NTAs stage, with trophy in hand and an adoring crowd behind them, was a fitting end to another hugely successful night for British television’s best personalities.

Full List of Award Winners:

Serial Drama: Coronation Street

Drama: Doctor Who

Newcomer: Khali Best

TV Detective: Benedict Cumberbatch

Entertainment Presenter: Ant and Dec

Daytime: This Morning

Entertainment Programme: I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!

Documentary: Educating Yorkshire

Talent Show: Strictly Come Dancing

Serial Drama Performance: Julie Hesmondhalgh 

Drama Performance: Matt Smith

Factual Entertainment: Paul O’Grady: For the Love of Dogs

Comedy: Mrs Brown’s Boys