News in brief January 22

———————————————————————————————————————————————————

The University has introduced a new and improved timetable for the campus shuttle bus service in January 2014. The shuttle bus will now collect students from car park two at peak times in the morning. The service between campus and Canley Station has been re-timed to match new train arrival times from Birmingham, London and Oxford. A second bus will also be introduced to the service between 11:13am and 3:53pm, providing more spaces for those travelling to and from the student post room in Westwood.

Coventry City Council was calculated to have made £964,000 less in parking fines than in 2011/12. The figures, compiled by the RAC Foundation, show a clear contrast with Coventry’s revenue in 2011/12, with the city pocketing a massive £1.604 million that year. Coventry were one of only a few councils in England that made a loss on parking fines, with Warwick District Council making small gains of £206,000.

The town of Warwick has been placed in the top ten of the UK Vitality Index, published by commercial property consultancy Lambert Smith Hampton. The report, using a wide range of data, scores each area against criteria such as educational attainment, business activity levels, economic output, general affluence and sustainability. Warwick was the only Midlands town to make the top ten of the main list, being placed in eighth place behind Cambridge which topped the list.

The University of Warwick will be hosting an economics summer school for the first time ever. ‘The Principles of Economics’, is a three-week course, open to anyone who is curious about Economics. There are no entry requirements, with students who are studying other subjects being welcome to enrol. The course will be taught by leading academics and award-winning lecturers, providing a substantial knowledge of key principles in Economics. The course also offers a unique evening programme.