Supporters for the cycle route, campaigning in 2009. Photo: Warwick Media Library

New cycle route links campus to Coventry and Kenilworth

A new walking and cycling route leading from Coventry through the University to Kenilworth was officially opened on Wednesday 11 December.

The route was funded partly by the University and partly by the Department of Transport through a Links to Communities Fund grant to the charity Sustrans.

The Kenilworth Greenway – the section of the route between the campus and Kenilworth – was completed in 2012.

An additional cycle path establishing a connection between the new route and the city centre of Coventry is currently being planned by the Coventry City Council.

Sustrans’ regional director Yvonne Gilligan said: “Walking and cycling for everyday journeys is great for our health, the environment, and it’s fun, too.

“This new link is going to make a real difference to how people make their everyday journeys into the University of Warwick from Coventry and Kenilworth.”

Bob Wilson, director of estates at the University called the new route “a great example of partnership working”.

He stressed that the scheme supported the University’s “objective to increase cycling and reduce traffic on and around the campus.”

Sandra Schmidt, a third-year Maths student, liked the idea of a new cycle route but the scheme comes too late for her: “When I was arriving [on campus] there was no cycle route near my place, and as I’ll be studying here only for a year it’s not worth buying a bike now.”

Henry Robertshaw, a third-year History student and cycling coordinator of the triathlon club, cycles to university from Leamington every day but he rarely uses the Kenilworth Greenway.

“All the gates on the path mean that you frequently have to slow down almost to a standstill wasting time and energy. There is also usually loose gravel on the path making it a little dangerous.

“However I can see that the path might be more attractive for less experienced cyclists who might not be as comfortable sharing space with cars.”

Michael Clapham, a second-year Computer Science student, is critical of the present action aimed at encouraging cycling: “I don’t know if a cycle route really serves much purpose unless they’ve actually painted a cycle lane on the road.

“The local council did have a stall last term handing out bike lights which was actually really useful. What would be more useful than a cycle route, would be more bike racks across campus and rain covers over existing ones.”