Photo: Flickr / Michael G

Be a house-hunting hero

So term two has started, and we’re now in the throes of the student house-hunting season, a simultaneously stressful and exciting time that seems to come around all too quickly. Whether you’re looking for an en-suite flat for four or a twelve-bedroom party house, everyone runs into similar problems during the search for that perfect home. These tips should help you to bag your dream house amidst the general confusion that house-hunting seems to bring.

1. Choose your housemates wisely
In first year, we don’t have to deal with the awkwardness of choosing who we want to live with. For better or worse, we’re assigned our housemates through a mysterious system that for the most part seems to work pretty well. However, the power is now in your hands to decide who you’ll be sharing with. A year is a long time (at least in the world of university) so don’t be afraid to speak your mind. Better an awkward conversation now than a year’s worth of frustration!

2. Don’t rush
Though I’m guilty of rushing myself, the oft-heard advice for student house-hunters is to take your time. Between Coventry, Leamington and Kenilworth, there are plenty of student houses to go around, so don’t be under the impression that you’ll be camping out behind Rootes at the start of next year. Some estate agents can be sneaky as well – they often keep the better houses back until later so that students think the good houses are disappearing quickly. Rest assured that there are a lot of great properties out there, and you will find one that’s just right for you.

3. Don’t settle.
On that note, make sure that your property is right for you, and don’t feel pressured into signing for something that you’re not 100% sold on. If it’s a five bedroom rather than a four, keep looking rather than just jumping in and hoping for the best. If there’s one box room that none of your group are keen on, search until you find a property with the right number of good sized rooms. You can often feel like the house you’re looking at is absolutely the only one that will appear. It isn’t, trust me.

4. Get your contract checked
The university has a great service that gets trained professionals to check over your contract for free to check for any omissions or oddities. My housemates and I made use of it last year and we found that there were a couple of things missing that we were then able to clear up with the letting agent and the landlord. Going in to sign the contract with confidence makes a huge difference to you and may also make all the difference in being treated as a ‘proper tenant’ by your landlord.

5. Ask about any problems
Some landlords may try to take advantage of student tenants, as they generally haven’t rented before and can be a bit naïve. Don’t let that be you! Almost anything that goes wrong with your house should be your landlord’s responsibility (another good reason to get your contract checked) so if your boiler goes, your shower breaks or your fridge is on the fritz, pick up the phone and get them to fix it. Remember, you’re in their house and they want it in good condition at the end of the day. If you don’t report problems, you could lose your deposit!
House-hunting can be a stressful time, but with a bit of know-how, it’ll be a breeze! The Student’s Union run an advice service which any student can visit for help with housing issues. This can be found on the Warwick Student Support Services page.