Exam-time cramming proved ineffective

There is bad news for students relying on last minute all-nighter cramming sessions for upcoming exams. 

Psychologists have published research showing learning is more effective when spaced out over longer stretches of time.

The study focused on how participants improved skills playing an online game and suggested that it is more effective to leave a day between learning than continuous revision.

Professor Tom Stafford, a psychologist from the University of Sheffield, said that this reflects how memories are stored.

“Cramming for long intense stretches ahead of a test might feel like more is being learned, but this is illusory,” said Professor Stafford.

“A better way of revising or learning is to plan over a much longer period, with substantial breaks between study sessions.”

This technique is supported by Warwick revision guidelines, which emphasise the importance of short but frequent sessions with regular breaks.

The Boar asked Warwick students on their opinion on cramming and their preferred revision techniques.

Our findings reveal that students may not rely on last-minute cramming as much we think.

Max Ethan Rodgers, a first-year Politics and Sociology undergraduate, said: “I’ve found that cramming does not work for me – all the information ends up becoming a large jumble in my head.”

Soraya Stanley, a first-year French with International Studies student commented: “There is only so much you can revise before you feel an overload of information.”

The study also suggests that the volume of learning is less important than the structuring of revision time.

Emma Ly, a French and History finalist student said: “The idea of taking one day off a week as a break is reassuring!”

The research confirms for many students what they already know: no one wants to rely on last minute around-the-clock cramming the night before an important exam.

• James Appleton

Did anyone ever do this because they thought it would be more effective? Isn’t it primarily the necessary consequence of procrastination?