Photo: Flickr / Gianfranco Blanco

“Every girl’s crazy about a sharp dressed man”

For the Warwick gentlemen out there who aren’t too style savvy and whose only shirt was picked up two weeks before the inevitable investment banking interview; I’m sorry to tell you, but you are soon going to run out of excuses to turn up to another birthday meal in the same pair of trainers you’ve been wearing since Batman Converse were cool. As the world says goodbye for another year to ‘London Collections: Men’, one of the most definitive global male fashion events, men up and down the country are starting to reconsider their priorities. In its wake, style experts around the world are starting to crown London with the prestigious title as the ‘Capital of Menswear’.
But if you still prefer a trip to buy the latest battle hammer for your War-Orc in Games Workshop – I collected the Space Marines myself – rather than a trip to H&M, allow me to persuade you. There are three reasons you should start thinking about taking extra care when fitting out your wardrobe.

The first is best illustrated by a well-known idiom; if you can’t beat them, join them.
Regardless of whether you are a native or international student, you aren’t going to be able to escape the growing focus on male style in the UK. The title ‘Capital of Menswear’, has been one that’s been thrown around in the past year by the fashion experts ever since labels like Burberry back in March 2013 said it would follow Alexander McQueen and Tom Ford – A designer first, Holy Grail album filler second – in bringing its main male collections to London rather than Milan. Although not geographical, it is almost certainly historically definitive.
However it isn’t all just about expensive designer labels. High street brands like Topman and River Island are also taking note, with the former even presenting for ‘London Collections: Men’ on the first day. Although you won’t be expected to buy straight from the catwalk – we all know catwalk models look ridiculous most of the time – you will see the major trends making their way to the Leamington store much sooner than before.
But finally and most importantly, are the experts’ predictions for economic change. With the flux of new labels, added emphasis and demand in menswear and increased ranges, the price of menswear should decrease in the name of competition. Or at least that’s the theory.
Even if it doesn’t happen, the rich Warwickshire gentlemen who do invest in the fast growing trend will eventually run out of wardrobe space anyway, so maybe we will get lucky in the local charity shops.

But if you are still not convinced and don’t think you can pull off this seasons latest trends – which is looking to be block check patterns and, bizarrely, overalls – then don’t panic too much; at London this month it looked like colourful nineties shoes, New Balance style, are still in, so you might just get away with the Batman Converse.