Editors Picks for 2014

The beginning of a new year brings with it the promise of a smorgasbord of new television for us square-eyed fiends to gorge ourselves on.

We like to think that we are at least moderately informed at The Boar, so here are a few of the shows from the UK and US that we think you shouldn’t miss over the next twelve months.

Sherlock once again graced 10 million of our screens with his unique brand of pasty sexy brilliance on New Year’s Day, safely establishing at least the next fortnight of televisual delight.

Just in case we were starting to think the world was a nice place after all, January 9 sees the revival of Charlie Brooker’s Weekly Wipe for a much needed fast-talking injection of scathing satire onto our goggle-boxes. (On that note, his 2013 Wipe is well worth a watch on BBC IPlayer!)

The final series of Mad Men will ooze onto our screens with all of HBO’s trademark sophistication this spring, whilst you can expect a healthy blend of swords and sex in new Game of Thrones on Sky Atlantic.

Broadchurch was the surprise British hit of last year, and the ITV series will be making a return later in 2014. If the first instalment is anything to go by, viewers can expect another roller-coaster ride from writer Chris Chibnall.

David Tennant, who played DCI Alec Hardy, is also appearing in a US remake of the show – let’s just hope that it fares better than America’s shameful attempt at The Inbetweeners.

And, of course, this is the year that we finally get to witness Peter Capaldi careering around the universe in Doctor WhoFingers crossed for a lot of swearing blindly into the eye-stalks of Daleks in a delightful Scottish accent. Ex-fucking-terminate. 

Of course, none of this really matters. 2014 will also be the year we see television (and probably this section too) imploding into fossilised obsolescence in the wake of the heaving juggernauts of Netflix et al. The internet streaming section will see you in 2015!

Have a cracking year!