Eliza Harris as Laurey in Oklahoma! (2011)

Defying Gravity: Interview with West End hopeful

Boar Arts interviews West End hopeful, Eliza Harris, who is reading English Literature in her second year here at Warwick.

Boar Arts: How did you get interested and involved in musical theatre?

Eliza Harris: I think musical theatre audiences are split in half: those who sit back, relax and enjoy the show for its glitzy lights and array of spectacular talent, and those who are completely arrested by a desire to swap places with any actor on the stage! After seeing Beauty and the Beast at the age of eight, I became one of the latter.

BA: We hear you’ve been doing master classes and training in London at the weekends. How have you found the experience?

EH: I travel to London every Sunday, which is quite intense and requires a lot of dedication. I’m so grateful for the guidance I get; it’s so cutting-edge because our teachers are all West End professionals, or sit on audition panels for Drama Schools. The website is: www.westendmasterclass.co.uk.

Eliza Harris met Peter Polycarpou (Miss Saigon, Sweeney Todd, Les Miserables, Oklahoma!, Birds of a Feather)

Eliza Harris met Peter Polycarpou (Miss Saigon, Sweeney Todd, Les Miserables, Oklahoma!, Birds of a Feather) through West End Masterclass.

BA: Have you made any particularly interesting contacts through this?

EH: I was lucky enough to meet my hero, Peter Polycarpou, last autumn. To meet a principal member of the original cast of Miss Saigon was amazing. His lesson was invaluable as he taught me, fundamentally, to be honest: ‘think it, don’t act it’ because a truthful actor is the most skilful, convincing and enjoyable to watch.

BA: What’s been your most exciting project to date?

EH: I was fortunate enough to perform professionally with Youth Music Theatre UK in 2012. We devised a musical composed of our own life experiences with a historical backdrop of Greek Gods and Goddesses. The musical directors were amazing and helped us to write a lot of the material ourselves. The assistant musical director has just become the West End’s youngest MD and the Head MD has just been nominated for a ‘What’s On Stage’ Award for composing Lift! The Musical.

BA: We hear you are off to New York for further training, how did that all happen?

EH: I did a manic session of prospectus ordering during my A-Levels, including one from the New York Film Academy and totally forgot about it! Three years later, I receive an email inviting me to an open audition for the New York Film Academy. Being at Warwick, applying for a full degree course wasn’t possible so I applied to do the 4-week Musical Theatre. I’m really excited about experiencing musical theatre in New York and will definitely make the most seeing Broadway shows. I’m particularly excited about one-on-one singing tuition and meeting some more like-minded friends to share the adventure with.

BA: Any tips for auditions for musical theatre and drama schools?

EH: A little confidence goes a long way and will set you apart from the other candidates. Never look grumpy and always try your best, even if you’ve been given the most ridiculous tongue-twister. They’re trying to catch you out to see how hardworking and determined you are. Above all, be truthful in your performance and leave the panel wanting more!

BA: Favourite musical?

EH: The Sound of Music, Sweeney Todd or Miss Saigon.

BA: Snog, marry, avoid: out of acting, singing and dancing. And why?

EH: Snog acting, marry singing and avoid dancing. Anyone who has seen my dancing will understand why I choose to avoid it, although I’m working hard to improve it and achieve the elusive status of ‘triple-threat’!